Print this page
Send by mail
Add to Favourites
Increase font size
Decrease font size
- Market capitalization »
- number of shares in circulation multiplied by the share price. It shows how much the market believes a company is worth.
- Market index »
- index composed so as to be representative of a stock-market or a business area, generally obtained by calculating an average of securities representative of the given market (ex: CAC 40) or sector (ex: Eurostoxx Banks).
- Market maker »
- intervener on the stock exchange markets whose role is to support the liquidity of the market and the continuity of quotations. At any moment, it ensures each intervener a counterpart for the purchase and the sale. It must permanently post a price range to which it agrees to buy or to sell the financial products.
- Minority buyout and squeeze-out »
- a shareholder owning 95% or more of a company’s capital can offer to buy the remaining 5% in view of withdrawing that company from the quotation, or can be made to buy it back at the request of minority shareholders. Once this buyout has been decided, the minority shareholders are under the obligation to sell their shares (squeeze-out). This process is meant to protect minority shareholders, as many investors will lose interest in a company whose free-float is only 5%, leading to a drop in share price.
- MONEP (Marché des Options Négociables de Paris) »
- French market for negotiable options.
- Mutual fund »
- joint ownership equity portfolio. The Asset Manager which creates such a portfolio sells it in “shares” to different subscribers and then manages it in their name. Category including UCITS and Money Market funds. In France, the AMF defines and enforces the rules for their construction and management.